Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Sandhill Crane Time of Year

Yesterday as I was dropping one of my daughter's friends off after track practice we noticed a bunch of sandhill cranes in a neighbor's yard. Aurora's friend was laughingly saying that they must feed the cranes because they'd only had one crane in their yard ever, while the cranes seem to hang out across the street in their neighbor's yard all the time.

I tend not to be one of those people who gapes and stops in the middle of the road and takes pictures, but it was quite interesting watching the birds hopping around, and another car (a local) stopped to watch as well. Here is a brief display of what I am guessing is a mating ritual. The two mallard ducks sitting on the lawn to the right of the cranes cracked me up. Do they travel together??



No comments: