Monday, June 16, 2008

It's Tough to be a Moose


I was so excited to see our local mama moose coming down to the pond to drink this evening and smiled as the baby frolicked in and out of the water (this picture was taken after 11 pm), but the delight soon turned to sadness when I saw that there was only one baby left, and the fur on mama's back was all torn up.
There is a reason moose normally have twins; all too many don't make it. Judging by mama's state, a bear went for this one. I can't see a dog ripping up the fur on her back like that. She obviously fought for her little one. This happens all the time, and is the cycle of life in nature, but usually we don't see the evidence wandering through our yard. If I were going to be an animal, a moose is not one I would want to be. It seems like a tough existence.

2 comments:

Christy said...

That is sad to hear, even if it is a part of the circle of life that animals live. I know that the other animals need to live as well but it is still sad to know the fate of the other animals. I sure hope the other baby makes it through to adulthood as you stated in your previous post that it is hard for moose especially the young to survive in Alaska.

Michelle Waclawski said...

I know...I cried, and felt kind of silly for being sad about it, and I do hope the other baby makes it.
Michelle