Last August Doug got pushki when he mowed the lawn at his school; once again pushki has struck it's ugly head in our household, this time with Aurora.
On Monday Doug and the kids mowed the lawn at Razdolna School, but when they were done they came right home and all took showers and we washed their clothes. It appeared we had nipped the problem in the bud as none of them broke out. This afternoon I noticed a red welt on Aurora's arm. It looked like a burn, but she said it didn't hurt or itch, but I suspected pushki. Within hours we watched the progression as the blister swelled and swelled, to what you see in this picture. It seemed like a delayed response from Monday, until Doug remembered that he mowed our lawn yesterday and he ran over a few small pushki (also known as cow's parsnip). The kids raked the whole lawn today and deposited the clippings in my compost bin. Suddenly it all became clear, and I was sick when I realized that Aurora had spent the entire day in the sunshine.
Pushki is photosensitive, which means it gets worse in the sunlight. When contact is made, the best thing to do is take a shower and wash off the fluid as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, we were in town when we noticed it, and it was hours before we were home and Aurora had access to a shower. There appears to be nothing one can do about it once contracted, besides perhaps take the homeopathic remedy, causticum, a pill that some say takes care of the problem. So now she is showered, we'll head back to town tomorrow and get her started on causticum, and we'll see how our next 5 days go, since we are planning a training backpacking trip.