Friday, April 19, 2013

Speaking of Moose....

Moose eating compost
Speaking of moose and getting fresh food.....I looking out the kitchen window at 7:30 this morning and there was a MOOSE eating from my compost bin!  Now in all my years of composting, I have always been sensitive to bears being attracted to my compost, but a moose?  Generally I don't keep up my compost all winter because the snow is deep and we had so much junk back in that area it was hard to get there, but in cleaning it up we cleaned it up so well that the moose can get back there now too.

I should add that the rabbits also greatly appreciated my compost this winter, and I think that is why they are so fat, and why they live under my greenhouse.  There's been a rabbit trail (so packed it was icy!) from the compost to the greenhouse this winter.  My son and a friend were going to set snares to catch them (there were 2 till our cat caught one the other week), but they didn't want to catch and kill our cat so  we're just going to have to count on some other predator to catch the remaining rabbit.

Anyways, back to the moose.  I talked to him and told him to please go away and he just looked at me so I grabbed the fence and rattled it and he took of running--out of the area.  Now I have to come up with some moose deterrent to keep them out of my compost area.....


1 comment:

Michelle Waclawski said...

One of my friends was driving from Soldotna to Homer on Thursday evening and they count 26 moose along the road (this was after dark, so that would be crazy!), and one that crossed the road in front of them. As she said it, "We lived to tell about it!"