Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A Typical Homer Flowerbed

I think it is funny seeing other people's flowerbeds around town. It seems like everyone has the same flowers growing in their yards. There are some flowers that just do amazingly well in this area, and they've probably been shared many times over the years (as I have done...).  Flowers that do well in the area are prolific and tend to spread easily so a bare flowerbed will soon be packed and need to be pruned back.

Here are some of the common flowers in the area (I tracked down the names to most of them)--all in my flowerbeds! I missed the iris's as they have already finished blooming.

Enjoy!


Peonies do so well there are now numerous peony farms in the area. Usually they hit bloom stage after peonies in other areas but this year they came early here so sales were poor as the national (international?) market was glutted.

My lilies are brilliantly orange-red.

Bachelor Buttons spread easily.

These are a type of rose--small flowers on prolific bushes.

Delphiniums are local classics. Mine are 6-7 feet tall and the hummingbirds love them!

Geraniums bloom for a month a more.

Shrubby Cinquefoil grows wild and in many cultivated areas.

Russian Daisies dry nicely.

Forget-me-nots are the Alaska state flower.

Pansies grow in my lawn, my garden, my greenhouse AND my flowerbed! Here they are tucked between a kohlrabi and my chives.

This is my favorite of all flowers but it did not transplant well so just a couple stalks made it, instead of being a huge bush. The bees love it and it blooms much of the summer.

Daisies can take over if not controlled and are considered invasive. Here they are flopped over, making for a strange angle to view them.

My columbine didn't transplant well either so I just have a few plants left.

Goatsbeard (also known as potentilla) are more shrubs than bushes and they grow wild in the area as well.


An unknown flower that brightens my flowerbed with a different color

Wild roses do well around here. There are also the pale pink wild roses (I think of these darker roses as the domesticated wild roses). The moose "prune" them back every spring; my rose bushes are the last thing they eat before things start growing again in the spring.

No comments: