Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Approaching the longest day of the year

June 21 is the longest daylight hours. Further north in Alaska, the sun will not set at all, but here it does actually rise and set. When I refer to the longest day, I mean the longest day of daylight hours, not darkness hours, which you will hear more about in December. I don't know when the sun rises, because I am always asleep, but it seems to be setting about 10:30 or 11:00. However, it never truly gets dark. In the 7 days we have been here I have learned to tell what time of night it is by the degree of dusk during the night. It is difficult to put into words; it becomes something that I can sense.

I do appreciate not needing a flashlight when we go camping at this time of year. Out of habit, we keep one handy anyways. Old habits die hard!

People who have lived here awhile appreciate every moment of sunshine. Worship might be too strong a word, but they speak of enjoying sunshine in very strong terms.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Terrific pictures! Thanks for sharing.

beautyffoal acres said...

Hi Aurora and Michelle, Wow, what magnificent splendor. You are living out my husbands dream and now I can partially understand the draw. Starlight Riders misses you! We just had the St Judes ride-a-thon with mounted shooting, posse demo, firetruck complete with sprinkler, pony & tractor rides, bake sale petting zoo and more. Lots of fun! Take Care & keep in touch! Visit if you come back! Amy