Saturday, March 14, 2009

Missing Limbs

Last night while I was at my son's wrestling practice a cheery 3-year-old with a missing arm ran by me. Last weekend at the gym a high school student with an amputated leg was working out. I hardly notice men with missing fingers anymore since they're fairly common around here. While I know missing limbs are a regular occurrence, especially in areas with commercial fishermen, it is still startling, particularly when it is a child sporting the missing arm or leg. There are many ways to lose a limb, but I do wonder if this is an indication of Alaska being a more dangerous place to live...or there's just fewer people so I happen to notice the people more.

No pictures with this one....just my observations and ponderings.....

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hi Michelle,
My name is Kimberly. I'm happy to be "reading you" again. I discovered your blog some weeks ago. I was searching for something just like this as my husband and I and our 2 kiddos are getting ready to head to Anchorage in early June. I had just read your post on the volcano and then ... nothing for weeks. I was in agony. lol We have loved reading your wonderfully written and informative entries. My husband is not a big "sit at the computer and read stuff" guy and he went all the way back to your first entry. We had a nice morning of coffee and read aloud from your blog. I hope you don't mind if I ask you ... we have two children (11 & 6) I have the opportunity to fly them into Anchorage from Denver instead of bringing them along on the drive. Would you say it's worth it to spare them the road trip? We need to be in Anchorage by a certain date and won't be able to travel leisurely. I know you've blogged about the daylight. That is one of the things that concerns me the most. I'm excited ... all be it anxious, about our Alaskan adventure.

Michelle Waclawski said...

Hi Kimberly,
I love questions...especially ones I can answer!!
My kids are 9 & 11 (were 7 & 9 when we moved here 2 years ago). Both of them enjoyed the drive "just for the experience." It will be light out nearly round the clock (depending on what part of June you are coming) so they will be able to see stuff as long as they are awake.
The drive wasn't that bad for my kids. Books on tape, handheld video games, reading aloud (me!), singing, talking, travel games, etc. can keep them entertained....as well as sleeping! We made 4000 miles in 6 days, 12-14 hours per day.
In fact, we will be heading south to the Lower 48 on the Alaska Highway as you are heading north (this time it will be like 13,000 miles in 6 weeks!).